Dr. Thomas Meyer
Department of Natural Resources & the Environment
Office: University of Connecticut U-4087, 1376 Storrs Road, Storrs, CT 06269-4087 (Room #325)
|PhD||Forest Science||Texas A&M University 1998|
|MS||Computer Science||University of New Mexico 1986|
|BS||Mechanical Engineering||University of Arizona 1981|
Editorial Boards and Organization Leadership
- Journal of Surveying Engineering, member of the editorial board
- Surveying and Land Information Science, member of the editorial board, and Executive Director
- American Association for Geodetic Surveying, Director since 2013, President 2016, President Elect 2018
- New England Section of the American Congress for Surveying and Mapping, President 2006-2007 and 2011-2012.
- Wolfram Innovator Award 2013
- University of Connecticut Teaching Fellow 2014
- Meyer, Thomas H. (2010) Introduction to Geometrical and Physical Geodesy: Foundations of Geomatics. ESRI Press. 246 pp.
Recent Peer-Reviewed Papers
- Meyer, T. H. and Elaksher, A. (2022) Simple Short-Line Formulas for the Geodetic Direct and Indirect Problems. In Surveying and Land Information Science, 81(1) 1-13.
- Meyer, T. H. (2022) Trigonometric Tips and Tricks for Surveying. In Surveying and Land Information Science, 81(1) 14-21.
- Meyer, T.H. and Elaksher, A.F., 2021. Solving the Multilateration Problem without Iteration. Geomatics, 1(3), pp.324-334.
- Meyer, T.H. (2020) Computing Planimetric Areas and Volumes and Their Error Statistics. SaLIS 79(1) 23-31.
- Pozdnyakov, V., Elbroch, L. M. , Hu, C., Meyer, T., and Yan, J. (2020) On Estimation for Brownian Motion Governed by Telegraph Process with Multiple Off States. In Methodology and Computing in Applied Probability https://doi.org/10.1007/s11009-020-09774-1
- Rollins, C. M. and Meyer, T. H. (2019) Four Methods for Low Distortion Projections. In Journal of Surveying Engineering, 145(4) 1-8. https://ascelibrary.org/doi/abs/10.1061/%28ASCE%29SU.1943-5428.0000295
- Pozdnyakov, V and Elbroch, M. and Labarga, J.A. and Meyer, T and Yan, J (2018) "Discretely observed Brownian motion governed by telegraph process: estimation." Methodology and Computing in Applied Probability: 1-14.
- Meyer, T. H. (in review) Fast Algorithms to Draw the Curve of Alinements, the Great Ellipse, the Normal Section, and the Loxodrome. In International Journal of Geographic Information Science.
- Chung, J. and Meyer, T. (2017) Comparing Kestrel 3000 handheld weather meter measurements of temperature and relative humidity against those of the WEKSLER Sling Psychrometer (Model# 315-1). In Surveying and Land Information Science, 72 (2): 131-144. (Best Student Paper 2017)
- Franklin, K. D. and Meyer, T. H. (2016) Centering Error for Range Poles. In Surveying and Land Information Science. 72(2): 77-84. (Best Student Paper 2016)
- Meyer, T. H. and Franklin, K. D. (2016) A Probability Primer, Part 1: Randomness, Distributions, and Histograms. In Surveying and Land Information Science 75(1): 35-42.
- Meyer, T. H. and Franklin, K. D. (2016) A Probability Primer, Part 2: The Normal Distribution and a Case Study. Surveying and Land Information Science, 75(2): 99-111.
- Chandi Witharana, Daniel L. Civco, Thomas H. Meyer (2014) Evaluation of data fusion and image segmentation in earth observation based rapid mapping workflows. In Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing. 87(January): 1-18.
- Yan, Jun; Chen,Yung-wei; Lawerence-Apfel, Kirstin; Ortega, Morty; Pozdnyakov, Vladimir; Williams, Scott; Thomas Meyer (2014) A Moving-Resting Process with an Embedded Brownian Motion for Animal Movements. Population Ecology 56:401—415. DOI 10.1007/s10144-013-0428-8.
- Pozdynakov, Vladimir, Meyer, Thomas, Wang, Yu-Bo, Yan, Jun (2013) On Modeling Animal Movements Using Brownian Motion with Measurement Error. Ecology 95(2) 247—253. DOI 10.1890/13-0532.1
- Chandi Witharana, Daniel L. Civco, Thomas H. Meyer (2013) Evaluation of pansharpening algorithms in support of earth observation based rapid-mapping workflows. Applied Geograhy 37, 63-87.
- Meyer, T. H. and Pozdynakov, V. (2013) Checking GNSS-determined positions and baselines with EDM-observed distances. In Survey Review 45(331)275-280.
- Kirstin Lawrence-Apfel, Thomas H. Meyer, Kazi Arifuzzaman, Isaac M. Ortega (2012) An accuracy assessment of global navigation satellite system wildlife-tracking collars in the southern Chilean Patagonia. In Anales Instituto Patagonia (Chile), 40(1):77-85.
- Rollins, C. and Meyer, T. H. (2012) The Effect of Delta Epsilon on XYZ coordinates. Survey Review, 44(327) 282-284. DOI: 10.1179/1752270611Y.0000000029
- Meyer, T. H. and Rollins, C (2011) The Direct and Indirect Problem for Loxodromes. In NAVIGATION, 58(1):1-6.
- Thomas H. Meyer, Kazi Arifuzzaman, and Darek Massalski (2010) Assessing the accuracy of GEOID03 and GEOID09 in Connecticut. In Surveying and Land Information Science, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 89-101.
- Rudnicki, Mark and Meyer, Thomas H. (2007) Methods to convert local sampling coordinates into GIS/GPS-compatible coordinate systems. In The Northern Journal of Applied Forestry, vol. 24 no. 3, pp. 233-238.
- Meyer, T. H. (2007) Fast algorithms using minimal data structures for common topological relationships in large, irregularly-spaced topographic data sets. In Computers & Geosciences, vol. 33 no. 3, pp. 325-334. DOI: 10.1016/j.cageo.2006.07.002.
- Tranes, M. D., Meyer, T. H. and Massalski, D. (2007) Comparisons of GPS-Derived Orthometric Heights Using Local Geometric Geoid Models. In Journal of Surveying Engineering, vol. 133 no. 1, pp. 6-13.
- Jeffress, Gary and Meyer, Thomas (2006) Two Perspectives on GIS/LIS education in the United States. In Surveying and Land Information Science, vol. 66 no. 2, pp. 123-126.
- Meyer, T. H., Roman, Daniel, and Zilkoski, David B (2006) What does height really mean? Part IV: GPS Orthometric Heighting. In Surveying and Land Information Science, vol. 66 no. 3, pp. 165-183.
- Meyer, T. H., Roman, Daniel, and Zilkoski, David B (2006) What does height really mean? Part III: Height Systems. In Surveying and Land Information Science vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 149-160.
- Meyer, T. H., Roman, Daniel, and Zilkoski, David B (2005) What does height really mean? Part II: Physics and Gravity. In Surveying and Land Information Science vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 5-15.
- Meyer, T. H., Roman, Daniel, and Zilkoski, David B (2005) What does height really mean? Part I: Introduction. In Surveying and Land Information Science, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 223-234.
- Meyer T.H. and Hiscox, A. (2005) Position Errors Caused by GPS Height of Instrument Blunders. In Survey Review vol. 38, no. 296, pp. 262-273.
- Ruiz, J., Fandino, M. C., Meyer, T. H. and I. M. Ortega. 2005. Cambio de la cobertura del bosque seco tropical en la Isla de Providencia, Departamento de San Andrés, Colombia. Revista de Investigación, Universidad de La Salle 5:141-152.
- Meyer, T. H. (2004) The Discontinuous Nature of Kriging Interpolation for Digital Terrain Modeling. Cartography and Geographic Information Science, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 209-216.
- Meyer T.H., Bean J, Ferguson R., and Naismith J. Z. (2002) The Effect of Broadleaf Canopies on Survey-grade Horizontal GPS/GLONASS Measurements. In Surveying and Land Information Science, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 215-224.
- Meyer, T. H. (2002) Grid, Ground, and Globe: Distances in the GPS Era. In Surveying and Land Information Science, Vol. 62, No. 3, pp.179-202.
- Meyer T.H., Eriksson, M., and Maggio, R. C. (2001) Gradient Estimation from Irregularly Spaced Data Sets. In Mathematical Geology, Vol. 33, No. 6, pp. 693-717.
- Meyer T.H. (1997) Non-spatial Database Models, NCGIA Core Curriculum in GIScience, http://www.ncgia.ucsb.edu/giscc/units/u045/u045.html, posted November 10, 1997.
- Collin W. Ahrens, Thomas H. Meyer, and Carol A. Auer (2014) Distribution models for Panicum virgatum (Poaceae) reveal an expanded range in present and future climate regimes in the northeastern United States. American Journal of Botany 101(11): 1886-1894.
- Ecker, Geoffrey, Meyer, Thomas, Auer, Carol (2013) Pollen longevity and dispersion models for switchgrass (Panicum virgatum L.). Crop Science 53(3) 1120-1127.
- Ahrens, C., Chung, J., Meyer, Thomas, Auer, C. (2011) Bentgrass distribution surveys and habitat suitability maps support ecological risk assessment in cultural landscapes. In Weed Science, 59(2):145-154. DOI: 10.1614/WS-D-10-00094.1
- Junming Wang, April L. Hiscox, David R. Miller, Thomas H. Meyer, and Ted W. Sammis (2009) A Comparison of Lagrangian Model Estimates to Light Detection and Ranging (LIDAR) Measurements of Dust Plumes from Field Tilling. In J. Air & Waste Mange. Assoc. 59:1370-1378.
- Wang, J., Hiscox, A. L., Miller, D. R., Meyer, T. H., and Sammis, T. W. (2008) A dynamic Lagrangian, field-scale model of dust dispersion from agriculture tilling operations. In Transactions of the ASABE, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1763-1774.
- Rudnicki, Mark; Meyer, Thomas H; Lieffers, Victor J and Silins, Uldis (2008) The periodic motion of lodgepole pine trees as affected by collisions with neighbors. Trees – Structure and Function, vol. 22, pp. 475-482.
- Bash, J.O., Miller, D.R., Meyer, T.H., Bresnahan, P.A., (2004) Northeast United States and Southeast Canada natural mercury emissions estimated with a surface emission model, Atmospheric Environment 38, 5683-5692.
- Skelly, Brian T., Miller, David R., and Meyer Thomas H. (2002) Triple-hot-film anemometer performance in CASES99 and a comparison with sonic anemometer measurements. In Boundary Layer Meteorology, vol. 105, pp. 275-304.
- Gross J. F., Roemer R., DeWhirst M., Meyer T. H. (1982) A Uniform Thermal Field in a Hyperthermia Chamber for Microvascular Studies, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 25, No. 9, pp. 1313-1320.
- Meyer, T.H. and Conshick, J. (2014) A Simple Formula to Calculate Azimuth without a Two-Argument Arctangent Function. Surveying and Land Information Science 73(2), p. 91. ( http://digitalcommons.uconn.edu/nrme_articles/15 )
- Meyer, Thomas (2012) Root mean square error compared and contrasted to standard deviation.Surveying and Land Information Science. 72(3) 1-2. (technical note)
- Meyer, T.H. and Baron, R. (2010) Improving Surveying Accuracy and Efficiency in Connecticut: An Accuracy Assessment of GEOID03 and GEOID09. Final Report, Connecticut Cooperative Transportation Research Program Project No. 06-10, Report No. JHR 10-323, July 2010. (http://digitalcommons.uconn.edu/nrme_articles/12/)
- Scott Zinke, James Mahoney, Thomas H. Meyer (January 2009) Evaluating the Long-Term Performance of Pavements Thermally Imaged During Construction, Phase 1:Developing Spatial Tools for Location Identification, Final Report. ConnDOT Report No. CT-2240-F-08-10.
- Meyer, Thomas H (2008) Creating Useful Products From Connecticut's 2000 LIDAR Data Set. Joint Highway Research Advisory Council, Technical Report JHR 08-314 Project 07-2.
- Meyer T.H . (1998) A conceptual framework for digital terrain modeling. Ph.D. thesis, Texas A&M University.
- Meyer, T.H. (2001) A Review of Terrain Analysis: Principles and Applications . In Ecological Engineering , Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 121-122.
- Witharana, Chandi and Meyer, Thomas (2010) Developing customized ArcGIS tools for disaster management. ERSI User’s Conference. In Proceedings of the IEEE ICIAfS10, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Witharana, C., Civco, D., Meyer, T. and Osleeb, J. (2010) Developing customized ArcGIS tools for disaster management. ERSI User’s Conference, 12-16 July, 2010, San Diego, CA.
- Meyer, Thomas H. (2004) An Airborne Topographic Mapping Lidar Simulator: Preliminary Results . In Proceedings of the ASPRS Annual Conference , May 23-28, Denver, CO.
- Meyer, Thomas H. (2003) The Discontinuous Nature of Kriging Interpolation for Digital Terrain Modeling. In Proceedings of the ACSM Annual Conference , Phoenix, AZ.
- Meyer, T., Elbroch, L.M., Ortega, I., Pozdnyakov, V., Williams, S., and Yan, J.. Utility-Distribution Modeling Using New Moving/Resting Processes. NSF Mathematical Biology. 2013-2015. $7313968. Submitted.
- Meyer, T. Final Testing and Analysis of Connecticut's Real-Time Positioning System (ACORN). U.S. Department of Transportation. 2012-2013. $77,200.
- Meyer, T. and Baron, R. Transforming NAD 27 and NAD 83 Positions: Making Legacy Mapping and Surveys GPS Compatible. JHRAC. 2012-2013. $39,290.
- Auer, C. and Meyer, T. . Grasses for Bioenergy: Pollen Aerobiology, Biocontainment, and Plant Genetics. USDA BRAG. 2011-2014. $306,023.
- Meyer, T. Implementing and Testing a Real-Time Network Positioning System for the Connecticut Department of Transportation's Digital Design Environment. U.S. Department of Transportation. 2010-2012. $510,190.
- Meyer, T. and Volin, J. Assessing invasion potential under differential canopy leaf phenologies in southern New England temperate forest ecosystems. McIntire-Stennis project, CONS00868. 2010-2011.
- Auer, C. and Meyer, T. Predicting ecological risk from perennial grasses engineered for biofuels and turf. CREES-NRI. 2008-2010. $300,000.
- Connecticut Cooperative Highway Research Program. Improving Surveying Accuracy and Efficiency in Connecticut: An Accuracy Assessment of GEOID03. $78K, 2006-2008 (with Baron & Massalski DOT, Fish DEP)
- Connecticut Cooperative Highway Research Program. Creating useful data products from Connecticut's LIDAR dataset, $50K, 2007-2008
- McIntire-Stennis project, M823: Assessing deciduous forest structure in Connecticut using imagery and LIDAR, Rudnicki, Meyer and Civco, 2007-2008.
- McIntire-Stennis: A High-Resolution, Spatially Explicit Model of Small-Footprint Full-waveform LIDAR Returns . Sept, 2002 – Aug, 2004. $42,000
- The Connecticut Institute of Water Resources: A Characterization of the Discontinuous Nature of Kriging Digital Terrain Models . March 1, 2001 to February 28, 2002.
- Office of Sponsored Programs Fall 1998 Equipment Competition Award: Javad Survey-Quality TRK GPS System, $28,559.
- President of the New England Section of the American Congress for Surveying and Mapping
- On the board of directors for Geographic and Land Information Science (GLIS)
Professional Societies and Memberships
- American Congress for Surveying and Mapping.
- America Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Gamma Sigma Delta Agricultural Honor Society
- National Atomic Museum Foundation (Charter Member)
- The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
- Served for one year on the library committee of the Non-profit International Consortium for Eiffel (NICE).
- Xi Sigma Pi Forestry Honor Society