Dr. Michael Dietz
Water Resources Extension Educator
Director of Connecticut Institute of Water Resources
Department of Natural Resources & the Environment
Office: University of Connecticut U-4087, 1376 Storrs Road, Storrs, CT 06269-4087
|PhD 2005||Natural Resources Management and Engineering, focus on water resources||University of Connecticut|
|MS 2001||Natural Resources Management and Engineering, focus on water resources||University of Connecticut|
|BS 1994||Psychology||University of Connecticut|
|2019 - Present||Extension Educator, CT NEMO Program, University of Connecticut|
|2014 - 2019||Associate Extension Educator, CT NEMO Program, University of Connecticut|
|2010 - 2014||Assistant Extension Educator, CT NEMO Program, University of Connecticut|
|2007 - 2010||Assistant Professor & Extension Specialist in Sustainable Living, Department of Environment and Society, Utah State University
Director, Utah House, Utah State University Cooperative Extension
|2005 - 2007||Assistant Extension Educator in-Residence, University of Connecticut
Cooperative Extension System, NEMO program
|1999 - 2005||Graduate Research Assistant, University of Connecticut, Department of Natural Resources Management and Engineering|
|Spring 2022||NRE 3150||Green Stormwater Infrastructure Practices|
|Fall 2021||NRE 3155/5255||Water Quality Management|
|Spring 2020||NRE 4695||Special topics: Green Stormwater Infrastructure Practices|
|Fall 2018 & 2019||NRE 3125||Watershed Hydrology|
|Spring 2015||NRE 2215||Introduction to Water Resources|
|Spring 2004||NRME 239W||Natural Resources Planning and Management|
|Fall 2003||NRME 246||Water Quality Management|
Performance of green stormwater infrastructure practices, and impacts of road salt on surface and groundwater systems.
Current or Recent Research Grants
- 2021-2022: $272,375. Rapid Action Plans to Deliver Green Infrastructure in Coastal Connecticut-II. (M. Dietz, D. Dickson, C. Arnold equal PIs). National Fish and Wildlife Foundation. 3/1/21-8/31/22
- 2019-2020: $47,954. Developing and testing of a green stormwater infrastructure installation and maintenance certification program. Equal PIs David Dickson, Chester Arnold, Michael Dietz. Partnership with the Nature Conservancy. Long Island Sound Stewardship Fund Competitive Grants Program
- 2016-2021: Statewide Education, Outreach, and Mapping Support for the MS4 General Permit. Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. $1,625,000 . Dietz, M. (Principal). Arnold, C. (Principal), Dickson, D. (Principal),), Wilson, E. (Principal).
- 2016-2018: Pervious concrete retrofit to support the Eagleville Brook TMD. Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection Section 319. $116,160. M. Dietz PI, C. Arnold co-PI.
- 2015-2017: Achieving Agricultural Water Security in Connecticut through RCPP. Natural Resources Conservation Service. $275,000. O'Neill, M. P. PI, Dietz, M. (co-PI), Raudales, R.E. (co-PI), Campbell, B. (co-PI).
- 2013-2017: Expanding Consumer and Community Water Protection Efforts Through Innovative and Integrated Mobile Technologies. USDA/NIFA. $333,058. M. Dietz PI, D. Dickson, Co-PI.
- Dietz, M.E., Angel, D., Robbins, G., and McNaboe, L.A. 2016. Permeable asphalt: a new tool to reduce road salt contamination of groundwater in urban areas. Groundwater. doi:10.1111/gwat.12454.
- Dietz, M.E. 2016. Modified bioretention for enhanced nitrogen removal from agricultural runoff. Journal of Environmental Engineering, online first: DOI 10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0001144
- Dietz, M.E. Arnold, C.A., Milardo, K., and Miller, R. 2015. The Care and Feeding of a Long-Term Institutional Commitment to Green Stormwater Infrastructure: a Case Study at the University of Connecticut. Journal of Green Building, Vol. 10(3), pp. 1-13.
- Rosa, D., Clausen, J. C., Dietz, M.E. 2015. Calibration and Verification of SWMM for Low Impact Development. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, Vol. 51(3), pp. 746-757.
- Dietz, M.E., and Dickson, D. 2013. Encouraging rain garden installation with a smart phone app. Journal of Extension [On-line], 51(2) Article 2TOT2. Available at http://www.joe.org/joe/2013april/tt2.php
- Dietz, M.E., and Abraham, J. 2011. Stormwater Monitoring and Resident Behavior in a Semi-Arid Region. Journal of Extension, Vol. 49(2).
- Dietz, M.E., Mulford, J., and Case, K. 2009. The Utah House: an effective educational too and catalyst for behavior change? Building and Environment, Vol. 44, pp. 1707-1713.
- Burian, S., Dietz, M., Pomeroy, C., Görges, B., and Flower, W. 2008. Low Impact Development in Utah: Progress, Constraints, and Future Outlook. Low Impact Development for Urban Ecosystem and Habitat Protection: pp. 1-10. doi: 10.1061/41009(333)75
- Dietz, M.E., and Clausen, J.C. 2008. Stormwater Runoff and Export Changes with Development in a Traditional and Low Impact Subdivision. Journal of Environmental Management, Vol. 87, pp. 560-566.
- Dietz, M.E. 2007. Low Impact Development Practices: A Review of Current Research and Recommendations for Future Directions. Water, Air, & Soil Pollution, Vol. 186 (1-4), pp. 351-363.
- Dietz, M.E., and Clausen, J.C. 2006. Saturation to Improve Pollutant Retention in a Rain Garden. Environmental Science and Technology. Vol. 40 (4), pp. 1335-1340.
- Dietz, M.E., and Clausen, J.C. 2005. A Field Evaluation of Rain Garden Flow and Pollutant Treatment. Water, Air and Soil Pollution. Vol. 167(1-4), pp. 123-138.
- Dietz, M.E., Clausen, J.C., and K.K. Filchak. 2004. Education and Changes in Residential Nonpoint Source Pollution. Environmental Management. Vol. 34(5), pp. 684-690.
Honors & Awards
- Provost’s Award for Excellence in Public Engagement. Career Recognition for Team (Center for Land Use Education and Research). November 2016.
- Environmental Leadership Alumni Award 2013-2016. University of Connecticut Environmental Policy Advisory Council. October 2016.
- Environmental Leadership Team Award 2013-2016 (co-awardee with David Dickson). University of Connecticut Environmental Policy Advisory Council. October 2016.
- U.S. EPA Environmental Merit Award. Collaboration with Rutgers University Extension on New England Rain Garden Trainings. EPA Region 1. October 2012.
- Nancy and David Bull Innovation in Extension Award, for Connecticut Rain Garden App. Co-recipient with David Dickson. University of Connecticut, College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. April 2013.